6.2.12

Curried Lentils

Ok so I wouldn't even put sweet potatoes in the title because we use them way too much. It's a problem. But I made this recipe because we did not have a decent curry recipe on here and I really wanted to try one. This sounded much better than one of our older posts (I should go delete that, doesn't even compare to what I made here). So yes this has sweet potatoes. But it also has other foods I've never cooked with before, Swiss Chard, which to me sounds like a cheese but it is actually a tasty lettuce.

Also, this is not one of those "easy and delicious recipes". We had most of the spices, and I eliminated a few of the ingredients from the original but there is still a lot of different things in this which you may not typically have in your kitchen. I would recommend buying them all because I think that the combination of spices gives this recipe a great taste, particularly the lime zest.


Ingredients
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tbsp. ginger
1 1/2 tsp. garam masala
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
4 cups vegetable broth
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cups dried red lentils
1 pound Swiss chard
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/3 cup cilantro (I didn't have any so I used parsley)
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 lime

Directions
1. In a large saucepan (or wok!) heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute for 5 min. Add garlic, ginger, garam masala, curry powder and jalapeno. Stir and cook for 1 min.
2. Add vegetable broth, sweet potatoes, and lentils. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, partially cover for 25 min.
3. Stir in chard, salt, and pepper and cook for another 10 min. or until lentils and sweet potatoes are tender.
4. Stir in cilantro, lime zest and juice. Enjoy your hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment